10/8/09

Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language: Translating the Basic Concepts



Must Have for Resonance5
I did not understand resonance structures at all using other textbooks. After reading this book. I feel like I am a master. I wished all college textbooks were at the caliber of this tiny little book. Klein is an excellent teacher. He gives the straight facts in a way that makes perfect sense and doesn't bore you to death. Understanding resonance is, I think, one of the most important aspects of organic, and you're doomed if you don't. Beware, this book does not replace your textbook or instructor. All of the important equations such as alcohol, alkyne, and ketone synthesis are no where to be found in this book. This book really gives you the fundamentals that you need to understand orgo. That reason alone is enough to get it.

Excellent book5
My teacher mentioned this book after someone asked her about it at the start of the semester. I wish I had bought it then. One of my problems with text books is that they will define something once and then you're expected to have it mastered as it builds on that concept. This book seems to repeat things, not to where it's annoying but when he moves on to something else he'll review a previous part that applies to it. It really helps pull the material together. I wonder if my professor looks through it as well. Some of my class notes follow the book closely but that might be how everyone teachs it. I believe it was when she was covering SN1 and SN2 and the four steps to determine which way something will go based on the catalyst, reactants, etc... Anyway, buy this book. It's more than worth it to supplement your textbook and notes.

If you are Pre-Med, an engineer, or just taking Orgo, then..5
GET THIS BOOK! I'm a current pre-med student at Columbia University and i wanted a book to help me prep for my upcoming Orgo class. Though I haven't finished this book, I can honestly say it is fabulous! I had to stop reading to come and write this review. Klein def. knows his stuff. He breaks it down into PLAIN ENGLISH! And for a student like me who hates the terminology of expensive text books, this is much needed relief. Its like he's talking to directly to you. You almost expect him to call, when you're done with the book, to congratulate and wish you luck in the future. There are many examples, some simple, others tricky and a bit advanced. I truly believe that you (and I) will go into any Organic Chem class and feel very secure about the material. Do yourself a favor and get this book. It concise, compact, and an easy read...A recommended book for you to take while your on that summer vacation!

About Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language: Translating the Basic Concepts detail

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #947 in Books
  • Published on: 2007-06-22
  • Original language: English
  • Number of items: 1
  • Binding: Paperback
  • 336 pages

Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language: Translating the Basic Concepts Description

Get a Better Grade in Organic Chemistry

Organic Chemistry may be challenging, but that doesn't mean you can't get the grade you want. With David Klein's Organic Chemistry as a Second Language: Translating the Basic Concepts, you'll be able to better understand fundamental principles, solve problems, and focus on what you need to know to succeed.

Here's how you can get a better grade in Organic Chemistry:

Understand the Big Picture.
Organic Chemistry as a Second Language points out the major principles in Organic Chemistry and explains why they are relevant to the rest of the course. By putting these principles together, you'll have a coherent framework that will help you better understand your textbook.

Study More Efficiently and Effectively
Organic Chemistry as a Second Language provides time-saving study tips and a clear roadmap for your studies that will help you to focus your efforts.

Improve Your Problem-Solving Skills
Organic Chemistry as a Second Language will help you develop the skills you need to solve a variety of problem types-even unfamiliar ones!

Need Help in Your Second Semester?
Get Klein's Organic Chemistry II as a Second Language!
978-0-471-73808-5



Google
 

Relate Post